Heated water

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by joshwilcox, Dec 2, 2016.

1. joshwilcox

joshwilcox New Egg

Dec 1, 2016
    I made a pvc semi-auto water with poultry nipples for inside my coop, anyway to keep those from freezing besides heat tape?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

I do not use autowaterers so I cannot help you there; however many others here do and I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Lucky Queen Misha lives in California. I don't know how others keep the nipples from freezing. Maybe they go back to heated water-ers for the cold months. I'm sure some will come around soon.

4. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    From what I've read, those who use pvc and vertical nipples end up dealing with freezing when it gets cold. Those who have the best success with providing thawed water use a heated bucket or bucket with stock tank deicer made for use in plastic, and horizontal nipples. I wanted mine to need filling fewer times so instead of a bucket I use a 10 gallon rectangular tote with lid with the deicer and horizontal nipples.

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You could check in with other members in your state. Just type the name of your state in the Search box and you should be able to find them.

Thanks for joining us!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC!

8. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] I am glad you joined us!

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under joshwilcox [​IMG] Welcome!

Living in Aus, freezing water is not something I have had to deal with but I just wanted to say that I hope you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by