Heated Waterer pics needed!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Omeletta, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Husband and I are looking for ideas for heated waterers...Alberta climate has a temp that drops to -30 Celsius. We want PICTURES! Any and all pictures welcome!

We only have 4 birds right now, if that helps. I have seen other posts, but want pics to show DH so he can help me out!

Thanks!
    Tanya [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  2. Omeletta

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Anybody? [​IMG]

3. Layin Eggs

Layin Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2007
    South Eastern, MA
    Is this what your looking for?
    [​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I have what layin eggs is showing also. Check our www.meyerhatchery.com click on waterers, scroll down to automatic electric heater base. I love them. We have three of them.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you use the search function and type in 'heated waterer' you will get several threads with different types and instructions for homemade heated waterers for the coop.

6. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    My feed store sells these. I'm seriously considering one, but I wish it was smaller than 3 gallons:
    [​IMG]

(it's available from McMurray Hatchery)

7. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    I don't have a picture, but what I got for this year is a heated bird bath, on clearance at Tractor Supply for $15.00. I plan to put a jug in the middle to keep the birds from climbing in for a swim.

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm in a situation similar to Omeletta's - in Ontario, and just 3 chickens.

The problem with the 'traditional' heated waterer bases is that you need a metal waterer to put on them and that's kinda overkill for just a few chickens.

Me, I am figuring on using a heated dog water bowl - yesterday I saw our feed store has large ones for $27.

Has anyone tried inverting a container into a heated dog water bowl - same as you'd make a regular ol' vacuum-style waterer? How cold does it have to be for the water up in the reservoir to freeze?

If I can't do that b/c of freezing, I will make a plywood (?) cover for the heated dog water bowl that just has one or two drinking holes in it, big enough for the chickens to stick their heads thru, to hold in heat and humidity, kind of like you might do for a horse water trough in winter.

I know this doesn't exactly help you Omeletta but it might give you some ideas?

Pat

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:I saw it at McMurray for almost $50 and then you have shipping. I saw it at the feedstore near my house for $42. The feed store is kinda pricey too.....So i am wondering its true worth.

10. Omeletta

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks for all the replies...I did do a search, but can't be specific enough for finding pics...thereby the post! I think I was looking for a homemade one. I could get a heated dog waterer, which I kind of like best, but then I don't have the challenge of making my own, for a cheap price!

Thanks people!

Tanya [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by