heated waterer pics?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ksct, Dec 7, 2009.

1. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    I know there are many posts on here about heated waterers etc...
    my request is if you could post pics of your store bought (and where you purchased) and home made heated waterers. Along with how well and perhaps why you chose the particular style you did....I have no experience with this and am trying to figure the best way to set up the heated waterers for the chickens. I looked them up and there are so many different kinds out there i'd like to know the pros and cons of them. I thank you all in advance!

2. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I have a red heat lamp hanging above my waterer right now. I would
    like to know which is the best waterer also.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Well you could get-
    A thero-cube (thermostat):
    [​IMG]
    And a heated waterer like this:
    [​IMG]

Chris

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  4. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

I think if you have a waterer like Chris09 posted, it already has a thermostat in it to come on at 35* and off at 45* or so. You would not need the thermocube.

5. ksct

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    can someone explain the thermo cube?
    sorry and thanks!!!!

6. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Quote:It turns off at 45 degrees and turns on at 35, saving you the hassle of turning it on and off and also saves on electricity.

7. ijon1

ijon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    gaines, michigan
    Quote:That plastic on that heater is really cheap. I bought one looked at it and sent it back.

8. ksct

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    could you use a thermo cube on a heat lamp?
    does anyone else have pics of their heated waterers with pros and cons?

9. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Too cold and snowy to go out to take pics...but we have a 5 gallon bucket with lid (free), 5 nipple waterers from FarmTek ($15 w/ shipping), and a small aquarium heater ($12 at Walmart). I drilled holes in the bottom edge of the bucket and installed the nipple waterers, placed the heater in the bottom of the bucket, attached an extension cord to power the heater (we don't have electricity in the coop), poured in the water and turned on the heater.

It was -10 here last night and the water was fine this morning. There was a small layer of ice on the top but the bottom was just fine.

To make it more interesting, though a bit more $$$, add a toilet float valve ($7) and connet it to a garden hose. You may need a short hose from the plumbing department to make the conversion to 3/4" (garden hose size) and that might cost an extra $5. But then you have a self filling, heated water bucket.

10. bukbugack

bukbugack Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    L.I. New York
    This month I started using a heated dog bowl. It's made by farm innovators. It has a built-in thermostat that switches it on when the temp nears freezing. I have it elevated on bricks topped by a 12x12" piece of slate. I use deep bedding, and just add another layer of bricks when ever I add new bedding. At first I had used an electric fountain-type waterer, but it was a pain to fill in the warm weather. In the winter, without access to the hose, I would have had to lug the great filthy sloshing thing into the house. No thanks.
    I love the dog bowl. The water does'nt get any dirtier with the bowl compared to the fountain-type waterer, but there is a big difference in convinience. I just go out to the coop with one small empty bucket for the dirty water, and one bucket with clean water for rinsing and refilling.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by