Heated waterer that u can fill from top??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lorirn740, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Lorirn740

Lorirn740 New Egg

Aug 12, 2012
    anyone know of a smaller one that is heated but you can have access to fill from top. I have the one right now that you need to turn upside down and fill and it is a pain. I want to order one that has a screw top....but I am also needing a heated one for the winter. Any heated ones I find need to be turned upside down as well... :((( thanks in advance for any help! Lori

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Build a "Cookie Tin " heater and you can use any type fountain you like

2 people like this.
  3. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I used heat waterers for one winter and did away with it. Too much of a pain. I bought the rubber water bowls at TSC and just fill them up everyday. Just easier for me.

4. HouseCat

HouseCat Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in Northern Michigan and it gets cold here but I find that if I give them fresh h2o in the morning and then again at night, it rarely freezes over. I know what kind of waterers you are talking about and I think they're junk. I take 5 gallon buckets, cut them in half 6 inches up, and they rock. They are tall enough that the chickens don't fill them up with litter in 15 minutes and deep enough where the h2o doesn't freeze. They're also alot easier to clean as well. Good luck.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: With a fountain and a heater, you can often go a week or more without having to do that.
    Plus you don't have to worry if you get sick or want to go out of town for a couple of days

6. HouseCat

HouseCat Chillin' With My Peeps

My coop is pretty dusty so letting the water go unchanged for over 24 hours isn't any option for me. My coop is around 900sqft so my chickens can really kick up some dust scratching in the straw. If the nighttime temp drops into the negatives(F), I throw an aquarium aerator in one waterer and have never come out to find it iced over.

7. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: Very little of the water in a fountain is exposed so dust shouldn't be a problem

8. dskelton

dskelton New Egg

Dec 11, 2016
    what kind of fountain are you talking about.?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by