Heated waterer??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by logansmommy7, Oct 19, 2009.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    Is there such thing? I'm thinking ahead with the cold snap we are having. Don't really want to have to change the water every day when the weather is SOOOO cold....we have an electrical outlet in our run so we could plug in...

2. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I"ve not heard of a heated waterer, but I did get a heated base that I set my waterer on. I got it at Tractor Supply.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  4. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I just bought a heated waterer at my local feed store. It's kind of a cheap piece of crap (especially for the price [​IMG]) but I think it will work. It was $31.99 for a 3 gallon, but it will save me from having to haul water out several times a day all winter long.

I actually need 2 of them, but I'm just going to get one of those heated dog water bowls instead of another waterer.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    There was a post on here a couple of days ago about a cookie tin heater. Basically just a cookie tin with a light bulb in it, and you can sit the waterer on top of that to keep it from freezing. I didn't save the link to that thread but you could probably find it pretty easily by searching for cookie tin waterer.

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
  7. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Tractor Supply carries a heated 3 gallon waterer. I used two of them last winter and they worked quite well. They fill thru a plug in the bottom and I would strongly suggest that you practice inverting them before freezing weather. Unless you flip them just right they will come apart and you will wind up with a wet leg. Not a fun experience at -10. With a little practice it is quite easy.

8. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    Quote:This is the one I have seen on several sites...does it work well??

9. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    It does for me I've got 2 of them in 2 different coops (unheated) and we had -14 last year, no problems

10. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:This is the one I got..........it seems kind of cheap [​IMG] But it was my only option, short of ordering online so I said what the heck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by