Heated Waterer

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Julie08, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    The best investment, no more chipping out ice or having the chickens go all day without open water woot woot

2. LittleFeat

LittleFeat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Yep I agree. We don't typically get below freezing during the day but I just added a small heated dog bowl. It's only a quart but has been so nice!! I've got it up on some bricks and it's staying clean. I don't worry about the water in the coop as they are already roosting when I get home and close the door and I let them out in the morning shortly after they come down off the roosts. I figure they can wait 30 more minutes to get water if I don't get out there when they first wake up! When it's cold enough for the water in the coop to be frozen, they don't come off the roosts too early anyway.

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I agree....having some kind of heater to keep the water from freezing is wonderful. Even though the heated 3 gallon fountain waterer I have has some cons, the benefit of having plenty of unfrozen water for the girls is worth some of the flaws of the device. The bulb over the water was not enough, the rubber dishes still freeze.... I have days where I can only see them in the morning and eary evening, that would leave them with just a short whil;e in the morning with unfrozen water. By the time I get home, they roost....

4. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I got one too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by