1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heated Waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wayne hulgan, Nov 23, 2011.

1. wayne hulgan

wayne hulgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Any of y'all out there hunting a heated waterer? Well check out Jeffers Livestock. Just ordered the one on page 44 of their catalog from their online store. I had found it on several other sites but they had the best online price. Ordered this thing Monday afternoon and it was at my house Tuesday afternoon. If y'all need one check these folks out. Might check out what other things they have that we might need. Best price and fast shipping, what would anyone want?
    Wayne

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks but it would be $14 shipping to me.
    I found the same one for 39 and free shipping.

3. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I found that website this morning too and am seriously thinking about ordering from them.

4. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Seriously need to look at the heated dog dish from Walmart online. Big,cheap and worked great all winter! Site to store is free also so no shipping.

5. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have a walmart b&m they might have it. We got one that holds, I believe, about a gallon at the store. It was $15.

6. minichic

minichic Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I'm using a heated dog water dish filled with playsand - I just put my normal waterer on top and so far so good. Keeps the waterer high enough so the hens don't fling too much debris into it, and the warm sand keeps it from freezing. I tried using just the dog dish on the ground with water in it, but the girls filled it with dirt all the time. Outside temps haven't fallen below the 20's yet, so I'm not sure how this setup will work once winter temps really kick in.

7. OnceAroundTheBlock

OnceAroundTheBlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Western North Carolina
    I just checked Walmart's website for the gallon size heated dog water bowl and it said "Out of Stock online".

I guess a lot of us "chicken farmers" ordered.......[​IMG]

8. gibsterl

gibsterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2012
    New Hampshire
    so....are you using a heated dog waterer bowl filled with sand and then your normal waterer on top? I have a 2 gallon galvanized waterer and am interested in heating it for the winter. Looks to me what has been posted in the past you can used the elevated heater underneath or the dog bowl system...curious to know what people think works the best in a cold weather climate (NH) and what system economically lasts for many yrs

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You can build a "cookie tin " heater for less than $10 most of the time, and use most any type of fountain

10. ShakeragSusan

ShakeragSusan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    rural Kentucky
    What is a [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]cookie tin heater?[/FONT]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by