Heated waterers - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by aly uovo, Jul 25, 2013.

1. aly uovo

aly uovo In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    Started researching heated waterers - is anyone using heated pet bowls?
    I'm hoping for a waterer that will give off a bit of heat in the winter months - any thoughts?
    Thanks so much!!,

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I use either the heated pet bowls (for smaller chickens) or the 2 gal heated water buckets for bigger adults. Really like them, I have used them both inside and outside. Don't think they really give off enough heat to make a difference though.

3. Mathew544

Mathew544 In the Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Danville, PA
    I read a post on here that said to take an old lamp, take out the wiring and socket and put it inside an old cookie tin. Then put the water on top of the tin. I guess this acts like a warmer and keeps the water fresh. Sounded like a clever, and cheap, way to keep the water from freezing. Hope this helps!

4. Rich386

Rich386 Songster

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    I read this post to and there is another with the bulb in the bucket. Quite frankly it scares the hell out of me! Chickens are sloppy drinkers and no matter what nipple cup or bowl you use they spill and splash. Now you have an 120 volt socket directly under or over your water. In the best scenario you electrocute your hens. In the worst case you kill yourself. For a few dollars buy a bird bath heater or a dog dish. These are safe why take a chance! Just to save a few bucks? Lets all be safe not sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: