1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heated waterers: HELP

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HenHappy, Feb 18, 2007.

1. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    Does anyone know if there are heated waterers out there? I keep the girls water under the heat lamp now, but it gets soiled faster in that location. I know there are ones for horses and dogs, but these are too big!!! I only have 4 chickens so i'd like something that would fit in the coop better, or even an extra for outside that wouldn't freeze. Maybe I should just move to mexico!!![​IMG] Would immigration let me take my chickens with me?[​IMG] I'd offer to leave my hubby here in Canada!!!

2. spencereb

spencereb Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2007
    Tennessee
    I know there are heated waterers for chickens, I was surfing some web sites a couple days ago, saw them and read up on them. Sorry, don't remember the site:([​IMG]. If I come across it again, I'll get back to you with info.
    -Spence

3. HenHappy

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    I would most appreciate it, and the girls would too!

4. spencereb

spencereb Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2007
    Tennessee
  5. HenHappy

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    Thank you!!! I checked it out, and some of them look like they might fit the bill...uh... I mean beek!

6. hypnojessi

hypnojessi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    Troy, MO
    Hi,

There are lots of hatcheries online that have water heaters that will work. Check Murray McMurray here: http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/no_freeze_heater_base.html

And someone on this forum made one from materials around the house. Check out the instructions here: http://www.website-design.ca/chick_heat.html

You can also check ebay for water heaters that will suit. Like here: http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...n+water+heater&category0=&submitSearch=Search

If you know of a hardware, farm or feed store near by, you could check there also.

7. HenHappy

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    The homemade waterer is excellent! I'll show it to my hubby tomorrow and he can whip one up for me!!! (because...ummm...I'm lazy:)) Thank you for the link!

8. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    That "heated hutch cup" looks like it'd be best, if you just have a few chickens. Be careful of anything like those fountain heaters where you set the water receptacle on top of the heating element; TSC carries a heater similar to those; the sales clerk advised me not to use them for poultry waterers, as it could melt the waterer and possibly start a fire, or get knocked, over, etc. We have forty seven chickens and it's a real pain in this weather; my son brings the waterers in the house every night so they don't freeze shut; fills jugs with luke warm water, then treks everything back out to the barn every morning; waters again in the afternoon. It works, but it's a real hassle.

9. hypnojessi

hypnojessi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    Troy, MO
    Quote:I think the heaters that you set the waterer on top of it are supposed to be used with metal waterers. I don't know what you use but I could see it being a problem if you use a non-metal waterer.

I have also seen heaters that you submerse into the water bucket itself. Those might be more helpful for non-metal containers. But I've never used one so the instructions for something like that might say not to use with non-metal containers either. Here's a link to one: http://www.pondsolutions.com/bird-heaters.htm

Just some thoughts...[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  10. Forest_Nymph

Forest_Nymph Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Maine
    I found at "wally world" a birdbath water heater (approx $20). It is electric and I use it in my henhouse each winter for my small flock. I place it in a 4x5x12" sterlie tote. It seems to work for me and my bantams can easily reach the water. I don't recall the brand of it...but I do know that it regulates itself to never let the water get under freezing or over 50 degrees. I have photos of it that I can email to anyone interested. Hope this info will assist your searches.

Sylvia
    aka Forest Nymph

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by