Heated Waterers

i just bought 2 heated dog water bowls.. the K&H ones, like $18 on amazon.. and they work sooooo great.. one in the coop and one outside in the run.. super cold temps here last week.. like 1 degree and windy and THEY NEVER FROZE OVER.. i was so impressed.. i couldn't fathom buying 2 more steel gravity ones that will rust again, plus heated water bases..

I use a 5 gallon bucket with horizontal nipples and a stock tank deicer. Never a problem freezing and clean water 24/7. I use gallon jugs to refill it.

20170422_105015.jpg

I use a system similar to blackdog043 except I use a 10 gallon tote with lid instead of the bucket. Should add that aart uses a large jug instead. Has kept my water thawed for 4 years now at temperatures down to -22. I'd say it's reliable. The only expensive part of this system is the stock tank deicer at $45. However when you realize the deicer has been used for 4 years now that isn't too expensive. I am fortunate to have a heated well house nearby. I hook up a hose in there and can fill the tote once a week.

Friends use the heated dog dish. Only problem I have with that is that the water gets dirty and it requires frequent filling. I am 67 and am afraid of going out in the snow any more than I need to go.

Last edited:
I use the Farm Innovators heated base with a Little Giant five gallon double walled fount. I haven’t had any problems and it’s been in the teens. I think the reason some people might be having problems is that they try to lift the fount by the handle on the outer “tube.” That breaks the vacuum seal. You have to carry it by the inner handle. The other thing is, it does have to be level or the water runs out.

We bought the metal base heater, but hubby is afraid it will get too hot, since the metal water doesn't cover the whole base.
I am using the heated base with a 2 gallon metal fount and no problem with over heating. Its thermostatic controlled. I've been using for over a month. The only thing is you need to keep a clean contact between base and water fount for maximum heat transfer. My waters stayed liquid down to 9 F. The coldest so far. 20181211_090308.jpg . 20181018_121050.jpg . GC

Back
Top Bottom