heated waterers??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hennyhandler, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I have started to think of winter plans and this year I have ELECTRICITY out at my chicken coop SO I was wondering what heated waterer is the best. I have seen the one at Tractor Supply that I think is 3 gallons for like 4o dollars. It is plastic. Is there a better one? Is there one you would recommend. I have heard of the ones people make on here but I just really dont have the time to do it. Is there another base I could buy instead? INFO PLEASE!!!![​IMG] THANKS.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    from what I heard from on here, that waterer is a royal PITA...I use the plug in heated metal pans. I have 5 of them I use and have never had a problem-35-40$ each and its keeps the water defrosted enough for them all:)

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I understand, typically, one has fill those plastic kind via a plug on the bottom. Not a lot of fun in zero weather.

I use the over-sized heated dog dishes. They are fairly popular here on TBN. However, I don't fill the dog dish directly, but rather just set a small pail of water into the dish. Works like a charm. Each trip out to the coop, I take a fresh pail of water and just swap out.

4. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    So these heated metal pans are open on top? Kind of like those metal pans from Tractor Supply? Where do you get them at?
    How much water does it hold and last for you? Thanks.

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
  6. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    Heated Metal Base for Metal Poultry Fountains from Farm Innovators
    They work great, no ice at all.

7. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    when you use the metal pan.....you have to set a galvanized waterer on top of it...
    i wished i had thought of getting the galvanized to begin wth instead of the plastic
    waterer....now i have to buy BOTH new as i did NOT hear good reviews from the 3 gallon
    plastic plug in either....but i am thinking of the big pet bowl instead then i only have to
    buy one new thing!

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I used to just use the plastic gallon jugs but the birds spilled alot of water and it was a mess.

Then last year I used "nipple" waterers and they froze so I had to switch them out each morning with new ones. That was ok. I carried water to the coop in milk jugs. I also put the plastic gallon jugs in the runs where if they spill water it's no big deal..

Now I have a friend who used nipple waters in a 5 gal. pail and puts a heater thing in that to keep it thawed. I don't have enough room in my coops for a 5 gal. pail.

I suspect those metal waterers get back wash in them don't they? How do you change the water in the morning? How do you keep them from getting knocked over? What do yo set the metal heater thing on? Is the waterer secure sitting on top of it?

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    the heated base is several inches high, the waterer sits on top and I have never had an issue with it getting knocked off..why bother I guess they think....it works great. You can always put it on something, a cinder block maybe, but to me it works best on the ground.

10. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by