Heated watering bowl ????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pwsmith, Dec 2, 2012.

1. pwsmith

pwsmith New Egg

Nov 11, 2012
    Hello everyone, this is my first year with the chickens and thanks to all the helpful threads. I have read a lot of things posted about water freeze up in the cold winter. ( I'm in northern Illinois ). I'm thinking about pick up a heated watering system from Farm and Fleet. Pro's and Con's ??? anyone..... Do i run a risk of starting my straw on fire? thus my hole coop. Not sure what the best approach is. I'm not liking the heat lamp idea much. Thanks everyone

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I use a small heated pet bowl for my 4. It is slightly elevated on some wood blocks to reduce them kicking bedding into it.

I don't use straw and have a heavy duty extension cord connected to it, the bowl is also thermostatically controlled coming on only when needed. I use heated buckets for my ducks in a similar manner.. except they require no elevation.

3. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I use a 2 gal. heated bucket it lasts 16 LF 2 days. If you have bantys the bucket would be too tall and the dog water bowl would be better. They will not catch your straw or shavings on fire.

4. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by