Heater base for plastic waterers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ArtistaRaquel, Dec 17, 2016.

1. ArtistaRaquel

ArtistaRaquel Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2010
    Manassas, Va
    I've been trying to find a heater base to use with my plastic 5 gallon waterers. I have two that are vacuum sealed and work great most of the year, but don't have the option of putting a deicer in them during freezing temperatures as it would prevent the vacuum seal. I thought I saw a metal heater base that said it could be used with plastic waterers, but now I can't find it! Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

2. longviewrn

longviewrn New Egg

May 30, 2012
    Emmett, Idaho
    url="/t/1145496/heater-base-for-plastic-waterers#post_17856091"]I've been trying to find a heater base to use with my plastic 5 gallon waterers. I have two that are vacuum sealed and work great most of the year, but don't have the option of putting a deicer in them during freezing temperatures as it would prevent the vacuum seal. I thought I saw a metal heater base that said it could be used with plastic waterers, but now I can't find it! Any suggestions would be most appreciated.[/quote]

3. longviewrn

longviewrn New Egg

May 30, 2012
    Emmett, Idaho
    I have one, and have also made a few from cookie tins with 40 watt light bulbs, but lately the weather here in Idaho has been below 10 degrees at night, and neither of these keep the water from freezing at that temp.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Try a higher watt bulb in colder temps.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  5. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by