Heater chicken waters

parlor93

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2015
I have 2 of the red and white heated chicken waters. I have been wondering if the water would still work if I put a round hole in the top and put a plug in it. I have an awful hard time putting the bottom back on. What do you think

You will have a tough time filling them from the top then too because it will run out the bottom as fast as you pour it into the top. The vaccuam created by the sealed top is essential to keeping the water in.

To show this, take a disposable cup and fill it with water, put an inverted bowl over the cup and flip the whole thing over. Notice that it hold the water in the cup. Now try putting a whole in the bottom of the cup and try to fill the inverted cup from that hole in the bottom.

Mine has a rubber plug in the base that can be used for filling also. Maybe yours does too? I just find it easier to take the base on and off.
Also, if you sit it on the ground upside down, after filling, then hold with your feet, its easier to twist the base back on.

I have one too, and hate it! It's in the barn as emergency backup, not being used at all this winter. I went back to the metal heater bases with metal waterers on top. Much easier to use! Mary

Back
Top Bottom