1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heater for the girls

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DIMBY, Jan 25, 2010.

1. DIMBY

DIMBY Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Western Colorado
    Hi, all, haven't seen a post on heating the hen houses lately. Of course, we're all looking forward to Spring so this may not be on everybody's mind. Had one of the dog's heating pads go out so I'm looking for replacements, and came across this:
    http://cozywinters.com/shop/hound-heater.html
    Does anybody see why this wouldn't work? For only $90, plus shipping, too

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I guess my only concern would be that it doesn't look like a sealed unit. So I would worry about how dust getting into would effect it...???

3. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I also read that it's not hot on the *bottom* half of the unit. Does that mean that it's hot on top? What happens when a chicken flies up and lands on top of it like a roost? Would they get burned? Sounds like they might.

And like Teach1, it doesn't sound like it's sealed to me either. I'd worry about dust getting into it and frying it.

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Have I got the solution for you!!!!

I purchased a sweeter heater in the fall and it's one of the best things I've purchased for my girls. It is very safe, water proof, washable hard plastic. It is sealed so dust can't get in and start a fire. Our coop is insulated but boy did it get cold and very windy here for about 1 month straight. The heater won't 'heat' the coop but takes the chill out especially on those cold nights and days.

My perch is a 2X4 and I installed the heater underneath. Works like a charm. A lot op people say 'chickens don't need heat'. They will survive but they won't thrive. ALSO during and after the country had that horrible cold snap 100's of BYCers had chickens that froze to death, had frost bit feet and waddles etc.

Go to sweeterheater.com and decide for yourself. PM me if you have any questions. I also purchased a thermostat from Mor electric (online) so I don't waste electricity and they don't get too warm on the days like today when it is sunny and 42 degrees out. The thermostat is on a short cord and you just plug that into the heater.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  5. TcherDawn

TcherDawn Granite State Chook

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    [​IMG]
    We got this flat panel heater on sale at the local hardware store. I think it was $119? Flat, sealed, easy to dust. I put it on a thermo cube, or else it gets too warm in the coop(the heater itself has no thermostat). I has worked well, and we have had some very cold weather here in NH. But it is for larger coops I believe. Would this work for you? I think they have them at shop the coop too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by