heater for water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dryfork, Dec 15, 2010.

1. dryfork

dryfork New Egg

Dec 15, 2010
    I have an idea that I am trying that I would like to share with the board. I am using an aquarium heater that is submerged in bucket for keeping the water from freezing. The temps last night were 10 degrees here and when I checked on the water this morning, the girls were drinking from the bucket. I stuck my hand in the bucket and the water isn't warm to the touch but evidently warm enough to keep from freezing.

I think as long as the water level stays where needed, it should work great. Most aquarium heaters need to stay submerged or they can burn out.

Let me know what you folks think...thawing and refilling water twice a day gets old and I had this idea that I thought I would try.

[​IMG]

2. Steak and Eggs Farm

Steak and Eggs Farm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    Missouri
    Sounds great but the heater may burn out quickly. Aquariums heaters are designed to bring the temp of the water up to the degrees you have set. When its this cold the heater will continue to draw amps to bring the temp up. On our farm we have to heat chickens, cows and the dog water. For the chickens I have a bucket heater submerged in an old cooler. The watts drawn are so high we are always looking for ways to cut back on the costs. Solar is our next experiment but we have a lot of water and high watts.

3. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
  4. JFW

JFW Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    I like the metal base type heaters. You should use a metal water can over them as some people have had problems with plastic. The type I use comes on at 36 degrees and goes off at 38 degrees. You can buy them at most farm supply stores for around $35.00. The one I use is on it's 4th year without any problems. I do recommend that you set it up on two 4 inch concrete blocks.

5. dryfork

dryfork New Egg

Dec 15, 2010
    you folks are probably right....this is probably way under what is needed. thanks for the replys and info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by