1. littlebowpeeps

littlebowpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Oak Harbor WA
    I'm a newbie and getting my coop set up. I have 2 silkies and 3 easter egger chicks about a week old. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere about heaters in coops. My coop is completely enclosed, with their entry door, no insulation. It snows a couple times in the winter, and remains under 40 degrees for about a month out of the year. How hardy are these chickens? [​IMG] Also, do I need a light in the coop? Besides this, I have found all other answers to my questions only from this site! [​IMG] This is the best source of information, and I love hearing about everyone's little bow peeps!

Also... how do I add pictures to posts?

Thank you!!

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

You said "completely enclosed" --- Do you have vents? If you close the door there still needs to be some ventilation.

eta: to post pictures you need to host them on photobucket or flickr and then you do the Img button at the top of the posting page and put the url for your photo between the {img} {/img} tags

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  3. littlebowpeeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Oak Harbor WA
    [​IMG]

Ok I hadn't thought of the vents... I actually hadn't seen anything about this. Can anyone explain a little more? Thanks!!

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

5. littlebowpeeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Oak Harbor WA
    Ok I see. That's simple enough. I'll make sure to include these in the plans.

I see about this being addicting! I can't peel myself away from this unlimited information and help! This is soo great!

6. girlsaint

girlsaint Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    A single heat lamp hung in the coop to be turned on when it seems really cold should be enough for heat. I live in Canada, and our temperatures can get colder than that for long periods.I hung mine over a community nest box so that my 3 little Frizzles would stay warm. (One is a frazzle and the poor little bugger is ugly as can be, with parts of his neck that have no feathers at all so I felt I should give them some heat).

7. littlebowpeeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Oak Harbor WA
    Ok great! My husband does electrical work so he could probably wire it in to reduce fire risk. Ok I think I have it all covered now! I'll post pics when I have the coop up. Thank you sooo much for all your help!!

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If it seldom even snows where you are, there should be no reason to heat a coop with appropriately-chosen breeds. The majority of chickens are FINE down to freezing, most well below if the air is kept dry.

It is useful to have a light in the coop so you can see what you're doing if you have to be there after dark.

Some people add light in wintertime to make up a 14 hr daylength, in hopes of improving egg production during the darker months.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by