Heather

Adrisducks

Songster
6 Years
Oct 26, 2016
My chicken got egg bound. I've never had this issue before so when I read they can die within 48 hours I freaked out and brought her to the vet after at least 24 hours of trying epsom salt soaks and extra calcium and lube. The vet agreed she's egg bound. She gave her a calcium injection, iv fluids, and some food. It did not work at all and it's been almost 2 weeks! I know that sounds illogical but she is passing liquid poop. The vet wants me to bring her back and I asked what was her plan, she wouldn't give me any kind of answer because she had to see her again. She's already seen her so I'm upset she couldn't give me any information besides euthanasia prices. I know this is an option but I've already spent $150 for nothing really and I don't want her suffering waiting for this vet to do nothing. I'm soaking her now and I don't even want to give her another day of waiting in pain. I'm almost out of the pain meds. She won't move much at all and it's in penguin stance 24/7 worse than before. The only thing is she still fights a bit when I give her meds so I know she hanging on a bit. I'm really at a loss here and I can't find a better vet locally. Any advice would be helpful.
Side question... I read they can have crushed dissolve aspirin but can overdose. Is that painful to die of an overdose like that? I don't know if I can afford to put her down. But I will if I have to.
Thank you

I'm sorry about your hen.
Did the vet perform any xrays?

Unless you lose her and have a necropsy, it would be hard to know exactly where the egg is located - could be in her abdomen or she may have lash material in the oviduct that is causing a blockage. Neither one can really be cured.

If she is suffering, it would be a kindness to put her out of her misery. Aspirin will not do the job. For a grown hen, the quickest way I have found is cervical dislocation or the broomstick method. Some cut the jugular which is quick as well. I understand if these seem hard to do and they can be emotionally, but if you prepare yourself it can be done.
Another option is to ask a friend, member of your family or a neighbor to see if they are willing to put her down for you. Vets are expensive and often most don't see a lot of poultry.

Dear Wyorp Rock,
Thank you very much for your response. No she didn't have an x-ray done so there could very well be something else wrong or something else that caused this. So many reproductive problems I've read. If she was simply just egg bound only, the internet says the soaks usually always do the trick. And my vet says no way. I'm having a hard time because she's still eating and a bit spunky. And when soaking, she tries really hard to push like she's more relaxed. Drawing the line between suffering and still fighting is killing me. I've put down 2 before but they were easy decisions.
I think some vets care about the money a little too much compared to the animal.
Thank you again, means a lot to me

Dear Wyorp Rock,
Thank you very much for your response. No she didn't have an x-ray done so there could very well be something else wrong or something else that caused this. So many reproductive problems I've read. If she was simply just egg bound only, the internet says the soaks usually always do the trick. And my vet says no way. I'm having a hard time because she's still eating and a bit spunky. And when soaking, she tries really hard to push like she's more relaxed. Drawing the line between suffering and still fighting is killing me. I've put down 2 before but they were easy decisions.
I think some vets care about the money a little too much compared to the animal.
Thank you again, means a lot to me
This does make the decision more difficult.
I had a cat approaching 19 years old. I took her in for evaluation and her blood work was good but she'd dropped from her normal 6.5 pounds to 5 pounds because she was struggling to keep her food down. I took her home and tried some more things to help her. It wasn't working.
I took her back to the vet and she'd dropped to 4.8 pounds. I knew it was the right thing to let her go but she was purring and rubbing her face on mine. It was killing me. The vet turned away and asked me two questions that made the decision easier.
He said, "tell me about Mogwai a year ago". I did. She was a spit fire little cat with huge energy and personality. Ruling over the dogs in the house and monopolizing the best spots in front of the wood stove!
He then said "tell me about Mogwai for the past month". :( She barely moves, sleeps most of the day, doesn't play anymore and vomits daily, sometimes multiple times a day.
He then turned around and looked at me and said "so Mogwai isn't Mogwai. And she isn't going to get any better". 😢
That made me realize that I was holding on for me, not her. I let her go.
If your hen has no hope of getting better...

Back
Top Bottom