Heather's Fate

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Animalian, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    My hen Heather is 2 1/2 year old and was one of my very first hens.
    She's very a very chatty, cuddly, moody, greedy guts!

A month ago she got a prolapsed vent, I treated her and she got better in three days. I shortened her days by bringing her in early at night which seemed to stop her laying because it simulated winter.

Four days ago I let her start having normal hours of light again, today she had again laid a large egg and prolapsed again. So she's been separated, again. I'd read that sometimes prolapses are a one off but some in hens it constantly happens so it is best to have the hen put down. It seems Heather is one of those hens.

She looks so sorry for herself and just sits, drinking. Also on watching her closely I've realized she is also having trouble breathing... So we'll be off to the vet tommorow to... discuss the options... [​IMG] I don't want to lose my girl

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    [​IMG] She is a very pretty girl. [​IMG]

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Ohh... That's too bad. [​IMG] I hope there is something the vet can do to help her and let her stay...

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

She's beautiful. I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

5. Americana

Americana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Dunnellon, Florida
    Oh no! She is beautiful! I hope the vet can help.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  6. Animalian

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Vet wasn't sure enough. So he let my have the consultation for free and booked me in with their bird expert (didn't even know they had one there) for Friday. My cockatiel has a respiratory problem atm too (still after 20 of antibiotics!) so they are going together as it could be the same thing.

I hope he can get them both better, all my animals keep getting sick or committing suicide lately.... I don't need any more bad news

7. Animalian

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    R.I.P. Heather you will be missed...

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by