Heating a 5 gallon bucket with plastic nipples on bottom?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by goatstafson, Nov 13, 2010.

1. goatstafson

goatstafson Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    We have 5 gallon buckets with those red plastic nipples on the bottom for our chickens. They are great and we totally love them, but it suddenly occurred to us that we really don't know how to heat them for winter, so that they don't freeze. How are the rest of you handling this?

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Does it open on the top (opposite end of the nipples)? You can put a light bulb inside the bucket somehow to keep the water from freezing, though I don't know if it would help keep the nipples frost-free.

3. chickanddoglvr

chickanddoglvr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    Cincinnati Oh
    You can buy a heater at the store. You just put the bucket on top of the heater and it will keep it from freezing, that is what i do. What do you meen by nipples?

4. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    I use aquarium heaters. I have three going in three different buckets with nipples. Second winter using these.

This is the brand I use. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061UQ6G/ref=oss_product

Works
    great I find that the warmer water has the chicken drinking more in the winter.

I use either the 25 watt or 50 watt ones in a 2 gallon bucket but they should work in a five gallon bucket as well.

5. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

I would also recommend the aquarium heaters. I live in AZ so I don't really have to worry about them but if I did, this would be my solution.

6. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
  7. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    Well, I use them for their intended purpose. Heating water!

8. ikatiemay

ikatiemay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    Eden Utah
    I put a 6x6 cheap tile in bottom of bucket (nipples are around bottom edge.) then from our farm supply store i got a submersable heater kinda like the one matimeo posted a pic of. Mine is only 500 watts and has a flat oblong heating unit, not round. i place it on the tile and plug it in, so far so good!!

9. ikatiemay

ikatiemay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    Eden Utah
    I love my nipple waterer, so much cleaner and water lasts for days!! the only drawback i can see it you cant set the bucket down or you may damage the nipples. I also place the bucket lid back on and leave space for the cord for the heater. it still fits tight enough that dirt stays out:

10. PuckPuckPuck

PuckPuckPuck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    Mont-Tremblanc, Quebec
    Does anyone have pics of this bucket with nipples? I sure would like to see it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by