heating a brooder

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by trupeach, Mar 11, 2014.

1. trupeach

trupeach Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2013
    I am new to raising chickens and have researched all I could before I decided to take the big step. I built my coop this past weekend and have everything ready for when my chicks arrive, everything except for heat. My nephew died in a fire so iI am nervous about using a heat lamp. I was thinking about putting hand warmers in the broader. You know the packets when opened keep warm for several hours? Has anyone ever used them? Do you think they would work? Thanks

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You're going to need to provide heat for 4 - 5 weeks 24/7. That's a lot of hand packs. Would you feel more comfortable using a heating pad? There is at least one person using a heating pad, on a continuous setting. But, IMO, after looking at her set up, I'd prefer a heat lamp. There are a number of things you can do to maximize your safety. Be sure it is well secured by 2 different methods, be sure there is nothing that can fall on it, be sure that animals and children can't get near it, be sure it doesn't get dusty, can't get wet... Use the minimum wattage to get the job done.

3. trupeach

trupeach Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2013
    Thank you for your response. What is the minimum wattage? Everything I read was 250. I was thinking about a heating pad but it didn''t seem warm to me once it would be under bedding.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You can't put a heating pad under the bedding. The folks who use them, provide a wire support system to make a little cave for the chicks to go under. You have to be very careful that the temperature does not go too high, and that the chicks know how to get in and out. For a heat lamp, you provide what ever wattage is required to keep the initial temperature up to 90 - 95 degrees during the coldest temperature they will be exposed to. In The house, it could be as low as 60W. Outside, you will need 250 depending on your outdoor temperatures. What ever method you choose, be sure the chicks can get away from the heat, and use a thermometer to be sure the heat under the lamp is the right temp. Go read the brooding threads and you will find answers to questions you don't even know you have. You have to make weekly adjustments to the temperature.

5. gatorshark75

gatorshark75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2014
    wewahichka, florida
    i use a 65 watt soft white flood light it gives off more heat than the 150 watt flood lights i use. i put them in brooder light fixtures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by