Heating a coop w/ no electric- (make your own solar)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Marli, May 8, 2007.

1. Marli

Marli New Egg

Apr 27, 2007
    I'm sure there must be a lot of folks who don't have the luxury of electricity running to their coop, and therefore may worry about heating.

I have NEVER used this, but I thought with all the construction-creative people on this board, someone might be interested in it.

Make a solar powered heater

If anyone does do it, let me know how it goes!

2. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    That is an awesome idea Marli. Thanks for seeing it and deciding to post it here. I see another DIY project underway. Will definetely let my hubby know. Might even just do it myself. [​IMG]

3. suburbanhomesteader

suburbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Speaking of solar, this was my post on April 18th:

If you have enough sunlight for solar and all you need the power for is to warm the house, you could try a couple of passive solar ideas.

1) Windows or twin- or triple-walled greenhouse plastic on the south side

2) A trombe wall or other collection point. I used 1 gallon milk jugs, painted black, to act as solar absorbers. The smaller absorbers will heat up faster than a large volume of water (once I used black 55 gallon drums which worked great if we had sun every other day. However, in Indiana, it wasn't uncommon to have a several day stretch of cloudy weather.

3) Another passive collection technique is called a "heat grabber" by Mother Earth News. I built a couple of these for my house this winter, and they made a HUGE difference:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green-Home-Building/1977-09-01/Mothers-Heat-Grabber.aspx

http://www.jrwhipple.com/sr/solheater.html

Also, remember that the chickens will generate their own heat, so if the sheltered area is tight enough and insulated enough, they will help themselves. I read that one chicken generates 1 BTU!

A very interesting book about keeping chickens in a greenhouse-like environment is Solviva

Hope this helps!

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  4. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    Marli,

Are there more detailed directions for the solar heater? Are all of the cans connected by pipe? Thanks erinm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by