Heating a large pond for Pekins? Advice needed ASAP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mev08, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Mev08

Mev08 New Egg

Sep 25, 2014
    Hi everyone. I got 5 Pekin ducks this spring. I haven't been through a winter with them yet, and the pond they are kept in has frozen over. That is there only water source, and I'm having trouble keeping up with how fast the ice is refreezing. I would like to get them a pond heater, just something that keeps some of the water unfrozen so they can drink and swim out far enough to avoid predators. The pond is an acre and the sellers said the last time they checked the deepest point was about 14 feet in the middle of the pond. I was wondering if I could get any advice on what to do; I have two small tank heaters that go into metal troughs but I don't have troughs that are low enough for the ducks. Are there any water tanks or troughs you know of that are accessible to ducks that I could purchase or a water heater? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You may find something here https://www.google.com/search?q=Hea...2FNew_webpages%2FNew_fall_winter.html;311;315

Sorry it came through so big. Your right though as long as your Pekins haven't access to open water they are sitting ducks to predators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by