1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heating a small coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by catnut, Sep 26, 2013.

1. catnut

catnut New Egg

Mar 29, 2013
    Has anyone used a product called a "hound heater" in their coop? I'm searching for a SAFE source of low heat without light. Thanks for any info!

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Sorry, nope I've never heard of it. I use 2 heat lamps that are on timers. They have done well for me and my flock.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Unless you constanty get below Zero. you really don't need heat other than to keep the water liquid.
    Chickens can handle cold quite well if they are out of the wind, and dry

4. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Doesn't even matter if you do get below zero. You do not need to add heat, unless we are talking about something to keep the water unfrozen. The chickens are more than capable of handling the cold. By adding heat, you are not allowing your birds to acclimate to the colder temps. You are actually putting them at risk, if you were to lose power to the heater, or the heater justs craps out, your birds would truly suffer then, and that would be on YOU.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    2 people like this.
  5. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Sorry, but I like giving them a little heat. Turns on at 4am turns off at 8am. Takes a bit of the chill out of the air in the barn. If the power goes out, we have a generator, if a light bulb burns out I have extra.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by