Heating bulb anxiety

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by diamond-egg, Apr 27, 2016.

1. diamond-egg

diamond-egg New Egg

Apr 22, 2016
    So we got 4 chicks a few days ago (2 rocks 2 orps. we're getting 2 rhode islands tomorrow as well). They're doing great! They're wings are developing feathers and 3 of them even have little tiny tail feathers starting to form. They're also scratching at the shavings and pecking around for food already.
    Anyways I have an anxiety disorder so of course I'm going to get worried about everything especially when it comes to my babies! we got a bulb the same day we got the chicks and it says it lasts 6000 hours. even so today I bought another one that's 2000 hours just in case. I'm worried sick that the bulb will go out in the middle of the night and they'll freeze to death. I live in western Washington and the weather has been fairly nice but it fluctuates a lot in this area. One day it'll be raining at 50 degrees and the next it could be sunny with 75. The room we have them in is draft-free and there's no vents or open windows. It's a storage room connected to our house but it's not heated. During the day it actually feels like a good mixture between warm and cold and I think it feels okay during the night. Not too chilly.
    All rambling aside: IF the bulb goes out during the night, could the babies still survive until morning?

2. thebulg

thebulg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    Short answer: yes, they could survive!in the wild chicks are born in the winter. Your heat lamp is mama hen. Rather than tell you not to worry, which people are going to say, i'm going to offer some back up options.

Try a shoe box in a corner, not under the light but nearby. They could go under it and huddle if they are cold. Alternately you could make a corner with a few stuffed socks. Not animals, they'll eat the fur. But if you prop up some stuffed socks, they could snuggle into those for warmth in an emergency.

The other thing you could do is find a digital thermometer with an alarm. Set it to sound off when the temp drops below 90.

You could also set up a video baby monitor so if you wake up at night you can see without going down!

2 people like this.
  3. diamond-egg

diamond-egg New Egg

Apr 22, 2016
    Thank you for the reassurance! I didn't know they're born in the winter. I guess they've gotta be pretty cold-hardy then!

4. thebulg

thebulg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    They are as long as they have heat. But yes, winter chicks will run around in 30 degree weather! They sleep huddled up with mama, so they dont get cold then, but as long as they have a spot in their incubator that stays warm for them, the rest of the incubator can be unheated.

You should use a thermometer your first time if you are unsure, but a GREAT rule of thumb is to watch your chicks. If they are huddled in a heap on top of each other under the heat lamp, they are too cold. Lower the heat lamp to be closer to them or get them into a smaller, easier to heat container. If they are sleeping spread out beneath the light, they have found a comfy spot. Great job! Keep it as is. If they are sleeping in a darker area, far spread out of standing around panting, raise the light away from them! They are too hot :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by