Heating bulb went out!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sekeyslaks, Oct 27, 2014.

1. sekeyslaks

sekeyslaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    Oh Dear.[​IMG]My heating bulb just went out and I don't have a spare bulb!I have 1 week old chicks and chicks-to-be in the incubator that are about to hatch soon in a few days!!!!!! I'm worried they will be too cold!They are living in my room right now,If I turn on the hot air will that help?Until I can get a new bulb,I'm not sure what to do!Some advice would be greatly appreciated![​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  2. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    Don't you have any regular incandescent bulbs? Your body temperature is about 99 degrees...

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi [​IMG] ,
    Not a problem Just use a 60 watt incandescent bulb. Watch the thermometer in the brooder. Lower the bulb until you see the temp hit 90 degrees. No problem. Then raise it a bit till the temp hovers between 85 and 90 degrees.\ Honestly I never use a 250 red bulb in my brooders. They heat differently then the incandescent. The incandescents heat the whole area ,. That heat is just a side effect of the bulb being on . The 250 red is a heat bulb. It not only heats the area, it heats actual objects within the area. That is why parents are so careful to not leave anyone under one too long.
    I went to Salvation Army and bought an IV pole on wheels. Then I slid a wooden pole thru the 2 steel loops. Then I hung a brooder light with a 60 watt bulb on the wooden pole. It works great because the IV pole raised and lowers with the twist of the wrist in the vertical pole. Very convenient.

Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  4. farnorth

farnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2013
    Upper Michigan
    I just use a 60 watt bulb in a brooder reflector myself

5. sekeyslaks

sekeyslaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    yes I do have regular bulbs!Thank goodness,the only reason I was really worried is because I'm raising these chicks for someone else!Thanks for the help![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by