Heating Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MalloryChick912, Apr 24, 2017.

1. MalloryChick912

MalloryChick912 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2017
    Marysville,Wa
    I'll start with apologizing if this is already been discussed 100 times.

My husband and I are new to raising chicks and in light of a new article it's raised a couple questions. My fingers crossed girls are approximately six weeks and are pretty close to being fully feathered (not much fluff left). What age can we stop using the heating light? They are still in their brooder which is in our converted heated garage (60-70 degrees).

Thank you for any help!

2. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    How warm is it in the brooder with the heat lamp on? What breed(s)? If they're used to it being quite warm, start backing the heat off over the next couple of days and plan on having them off heat shortly thereafter.

During spring/summer hatching, I usually wean chicks off from the heat completely around 3-4 weeks of age, depending on how many there are to snuggle together. I have some 3 1/2 week old dominiques that are completely off heat, with daytime temps in the 50s to 60s and night time temps in the 40s.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    2 weeks ago. My chicks are off heat at 4 - 5 weeks, living in an outdoor coop with temps that sometimes get down to freezing at night. They use a heating pad brooder, and wean themselves off heat. You can read about it by clicking Blooie's article link in my signature.

2 people like this.
  4. MalloryChick912

Mar 31, 2017
    Marysville,Wa
    It's been at about 90-95 since they came home directly under the light. Their roosting pole (the favorite area for all of them) is at 80 degrees.

We have 2 RIR, 2 Brahmas, and 2 Wyandottes

5. song of joy

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    They (many poultry books) recommend starting the brooder around 90 degrees the 1st week, and then reducing the heat by 5 degrees every 5 to 7 days. Following that routine, the brooder temperature should be around 70 degrees by the time they're 5 weeks old.

That being said, many folks use less heat than recommended, or reduce it more quickly, and the chicks do fine. They just feather out much faster with less heat.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. MalloryChick912

Mar 31, 2017
    Marysville,Wa
    Thank you! I was hoping that since our house stays a nice 60-70 degrees they could start adjusting to not having the heat light on all day.

The house fire article spooked me a little.

7. song of joy

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    They should do fine at 60-70 degrees. If you take the heat lamp away, they'll huddle together if/when they are chilled.

Heat lamps scare me too. I stopped using them a couple of years ago after reading one too many stories about houses, barns and coops burning to the ground. I now use broody hens or a heater panel (Sweeter Heater).

1 person likes this.
  8. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

LG, question about how/when they wean themselves off the heat? My chicks are 3 weeks old, in the coop with a heat plate from day one, temps as low as 30 but it's warming up. They are almost feathered out, still fluffy necks and butts.
    Do they just stop going under to warm up?
    Mine are not under it nearly as much as they used to be.

Thanks

Gary

9. Goodfolk

Goodfolk Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2015
    Houston
    I have a similar question along those lines. We have five chicks next to heat that are now five weeks old. They continue to huddle right on the side nearest the heat lamp, so every time we start to move it a foot back away from the heat lamp, we end up moving it back, since they're acting cold. Should we just be coldhearted and make the move away from the heat Lamp? They are fully feathered…but maybe it makes a difference that three are bantam breeds? (2 silkies, a seabright, a cinnoman queen, and a Cochin). Thank you so much!

1 person likes this.
  10. MalloryChick912

Mar 31, 2017
    Marysville,Wa
    Yes this will be the last time we use it. it was way after the fact we found the heater panel.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'll feel good turning their light off tonight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by