Heating coop & heating water?

ShannyCupcakes

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 29, 2015
Stratford, Ct
So, I'm a first time chicken owner on my own, my parents have had chickens forever. This is the first real cold day we've had, first cold day of these poor chickens lives haha...so I know this has been asked many times but the answers usually depend on the type of coop, so I'm going to ask again, I apologize in advance...should I be heating my coop? I only have two hens. Also today is the first day their water froze, I feel super bad...what kind of cheap heaters can I get on short notice, locally, any ideas? I live in Ct. I attached a picture of the coop my girls are living in, maybe to help get a better idea if they are ok in there. Thanks again, this is my first post. I'm sorry I'm rambling!

It looks like you have cold tolerant type chickens to begin with. GOOD. You should be able to get away without supplementing heat. Keep drafts to a minimum. and seeing that your coop is up around fencing, draft from winds should not be that severe of a problem. For water not to freeze you will need your parents to have electricity inside coop. There are many water heaters available. The easiest one in your circumstance would be a heated dog dish. Here is a link for one on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing...id=1451962186&sr=1-1&keywords=heated+dog+dish

And here is the pix

You will just need to change the water when chickens make it dirty.
WISHING YOU BEST AND
welcome-byc.gif

0.jpg

This is like the one I have. I bought the lamp kit with the switch on the cord and drilled a couple of small holes in the side so I could tell when the bulb blows. I bought the cookie tin at the thrift store and the parts at Lowe's. I put it all in one bag along with a note with the website on how to make it and handed it to one of my teenage boys and said, "This is what I want for my birthday." My husband helped him and he was so proud when he gave it to me! Win/win.

Last edited:
All they need is a well ventilated, clean place to get where they can be dry and out of drafts. Heat is actually bad for them. As long as the inside of your coop doesn't leak when it rains, it should be fine. Keep the windows/vents open and keep the food and water underneath. There are plenty of DIY water heater plans here are other places on the net. Mine is a cookie tin with a lamp kit installed. The light bulb heats the tin and the waterer sits on top. I love it. I also saw one made in a clay flowerpot that I thought would be good.

Good luck and let us know if you need anything else.

welcome-byc.gif

Freezing water is one thing I don't have experience with living in FL but it looks like you've been given some good answers already.

Enjoy your birds and thanks for joining us!

You could tack a towel to their roosting post, it will help keep their feet warm. But, they should be fine. Some people just go out a few times a day. Break the ice out of the bowls (black rubber is good) and refill with tepid water.

Back
Top Bottom