Heating coop in NewEngland

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ThechickenIam, Dec 9, 2010.

1. ThechickenIam

ThechickenIam Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2010
    Pepperell,Mass
    I have a 8'x8' x8' coop. I have two dozens chickens. Should I heat it and if I should what brand should I buy that others have experience with?
    Thanks Kevin

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hmmmm....seems like an awfully small space for 2 dozen chickens (I have 2 birds in a 4x6x8 that could maybe handle 2 more birds) so maybe there is a lot of body heat in there, I don't know.

When the cold is uncomfortable for my birds, I use ceramic heat lamps (available at places like Petsmart -reptile area usually). Suspend from ceiling so that it touches nothing and can't possibly be knocked down. I have connected to timer so I can regulate when on and when off to coordinate with the forecast.

JJ

3. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i really don't think its that necessary. chickens have thick feather coats and are fine in cold weather

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Depends where you are, whether the birds are cold hardy or not, etc.......for example, I have a darling of a roo that thrives in heat that bothers most birds but he cannot endure the cold. He is my lowest common denominator and I heat to a level that keeps him comfortable.

JJ

5. MrRushed

MrRushed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Dudley
    I have a 4x6x6 coop with 6 hens and 1 roo, they have plenty of room. I heat with a little electric heater with a built in fan, keep it about 50 degrees. I only use the heat cause I have a 30 gal water storage for chicken nipples.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG]

No heat here and an uninsulated coop. As long as the birds are in a dry and basically draft-free place they will be fine. Do you have winter hardy breeds? That makes a difference.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Even with all factors equal, you'll get very different opinions to your question. But things that would help determine whether you might want to add a bit of heat to your coop: What are nightly lows in your area? Is your coop insulated? What breeds do you have? How important is it to you that your birds lay fairly well through the winter? Are you asking more about survival or comfort? All those things and more factor into your choice.

8. WendySkill

WendySkill New Egg

Jul 15, 2009
    Monson, MA
    I live in Western MA. and woke up to 11 degrees today. My coop is 12 x 12 with high ceilings. Today was the first day the water was frozen and we've been below freezing for a while. My coop is heavily insulated in the walls and ceiling with 27 winter hardy chickens and it seems to make all the difference. The coop is much warmer then our uninsulated horse barn. I just bought an inside/outside thermometer today to see what the actual difference is.

9. 5j's

5j's Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    Wilbraham, Ma
    Western Ma. too. One town over from you wendyskill. No insulation or heat in my coop. My 4 hens seem fine. Wnter hardy breeds are key.

10. hamilton

hamilton Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    This is our first year with chickens so I am finding all of the responses helpful.. I have 12 chickens in a 12 x 12 shed... I have put 2 bags of shavings on the floor which is about 6-7 inches ... they have 4 different roosts at different levels.. They all seem to get their little group together at night.. In the morning they have access to go out in a small area that is weather proof.. I was thinking of putting some kind of heat but after reading all of the posts I will hold off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by