Heating duck coop

Nlutfi

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2020
Is there a safe way to heat my ducks coop for the winter? I have 3 buff females that are about 3 months old. I live in WI so winters can get sub zero fairly often. And other winter preparation I need to consider? Looking for a good watering solution as well.
PXL_20200919_175147694.jpg

I'm in Wisconsin too. I wouldn't heat. Your coop is small, and the extra heat will interfere with birds growing in a thicker coat as temperatures drop. The risks of fires is not worth it either.

After it freezes you can use straw or hay around the house for a bit of extra insulation if needed. You will also need to put some down on the ground.

I personally might make a bigger covered area where they can hang out all day. My ducks don't leave my shed unless it's sunny and nice out, and there's hay to sit in.

I'm in Wisconsin too. I wouldn't heat. Your coop is small, and the extra heat will interfere with birds growing in a thicker coat as temperatures drop. The risks of fires is not worth it either.

After it freezes you can use straw or hay around the house for a bit of extra insulation if needed. You will also need to put some down on the ground.

I personally might make a bigger covered area where they can hang out all day. My ducks don't leave my shed unless it's sunny and nice out, and there's hay to sit in.
I do plan to lay hay down as the snow falls and also to put a tarp around the fence for some wind protection. Do you mean use straw bails around the outside of the house to help insulate? And how do you deal with water in the winter?

Yes you can use bales around the exterior if you are concerned. You need to wait until we freeze to do so as rodents will move in if you do it earlier.

I use rubber bowls and rubber buckets, and either bash them out, or turn them over in the sun to melt enough for the ice to fall out.

I carry warm water out in a watering can, so sometimes I just top off the ice as well. It's useless to try to keep heated water as ducks foul it up and it needs daily dumping anyways. They do make heated water buckets and bowls if you want to go that route. Ducks will eat some snow too, so if I'm late getting out to the shed they are okay.

Wild ducks winter over in the open rivers around here if they are being fed. They are winter hardy. My muscovy continue to take baths all winter long, so I provide a big shallow tub for them to do so. They often will have icicles hanging off their tails because of it.

Yes you can use bales around the exterior if you are concerned. You need to wait until we freeze to do so as rodents will move in if you do it earlier.

I use rubber bowls and rubber buckets, and either bash them out, or turn them over in the sun to melt enough for the ice to fall out.

I carry warm water out in a watering can, so sometimes I just top off the ice as well. It's useless to try to keep heated water as ducks foul it up and it needs daily dumping anyways. They do make heated water buckets and bowls if you want to go that route. Ducks will eat some snow too, so if I'm late getting out to the shed they are okay.

Wild ducks winter over in the open rivers around here if they are being fed. They are winter hardy. My muscovy continue to take baths all winter long, so I provide a big shallow tub for them to do so. They often will have icicles hanging off their tails because of it.
Awsome thanks you for all the help, this is my first time with ducks so I want to make sure I'm doing it right. I will try to add straw bales around the coop once it freezes.

I got a heated hose for winter. I didn't want to carry water from the house everyday. It was very worth the cost for us.

I didn't get a coop heater, as I decided the risk of fire wasn't worth it.

Back
Top Bottom