Heating Element for Home Made Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by txcarl1258, Sep 13, 2010.

1. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Hello Everyone,
    I am still new to this group and am still learning the ropes about navigating all the pages. I recently ordered plans to make an home made incubator. I am NOT handy in the least! LOL Anyway my question is how do all of you maintain the temp in your bators? I work a lot and am not always home to monitor the temp. I know the Styrofoam ones turn on and off to maintain the temp. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 4HillsSumatras

4HillsSumatras Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome. I have used a hot water heater thermostat from Home Depot. Got it for $9.00. They work well after you set them. You can see a pic of it on our bator page.

I drilled holes in my 2nd one and put it back together, it works better with a smaller temp swing. I would sugguest also making a "fake egg" for an inside of egg temp inside your bator.

Hope this helps.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

4. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Thanks for the help everyone. My plans haven't come in the mail yet, but they should be here tomorrow. Of course now that I bought the plans the person is now selling bator kits and fully made ones! :[​IMG] Just my luck! LOL Hopefully I can put the one together and have decent hatch results.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by