Heating Element

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cranfords Coop, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Cranfords Coop

Cranfords Coop Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    New London, NC
    I have never noticed in my cabinet incubator that the heating element Wire glows red from time to time in different areas!

Is that ok and does this matter or is it dangerous?

Just wanna be sure everything is ok!

2. Cranfords Coop

Cranfords Coop Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    New London, NC
    Anybody have any info on this?

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, as long as it's suspended away from things that can catch fire, it sounds normal for a hot wire to start glowing if it's dim enough. A heating element on an electric oven glows red when you have it on high. An incandescent light bulb is essentially a hot glowing wire. But not sure how much of a glow should show up on the incubator heat element you have.

4. HatchCraft

HatchCraft Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    North Florida
    I have a lot of experience with the coiled nichrome wire heat elements. They should not glow . If it is a homemade incubator you may not have stretched the element enough. They need to be stretched at least 3 times their compressed length or you may have hot spots. This could lead to coil failure. Should not be dangerous if it's on ceramic insulator an away for combustibles. Not knowing the type of incubator you have, it may be possible you are experiencing reduced or insufficient air flow. This would cause the element to overheat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by