Heating in extreme cold

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kloverdarling, Feb 22, 2015.

1. kloverdarling

kloverdarling Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2014
    Colorado
    Hello all, I will be receiving my first batch of baby chicks Wednesday. I live in Lyons, CO. Currently it's 10 degrees outside. I live off grid and am using a generator for power in my 8x8 insulated shed. I have constructed my brooder in this shed. It is roughly 7.5x3 for 15 chicks. I am using a sweeter heater inside the brooder itself along with 2 small space heaters in the shed. Testing my temperatures and wondering what I can do to improve the heat. Been running everything for a few hrs and am slowly gaining heat, at 76 degrees at the moment. Wanting off grid friendly options or non power options and ideas. [​IMG] Would covering the open area above the brooder with a sheet help hold in more heat in this area? Any suggestions would be fabulous!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That just sounds way too cold. Couldn't them brood in the house somewhere? I would think you will lose them at that temp. Or heaven forbid have a fire with the space heaters.

3. kloverdarling

Dec 9, 2014
    Colorado
    I'm up to 84 degrees now. I just took a sheet and covered the open space. Covered the window on the shed as well. I live in an rv so I don't have space inside for the babies. Their is someone available to check on them as my boyfriend works from home. So when I am working, he sticks around so the dog isn't alone too much either. I'm not too worried about the space heaters right now for that reason. It's just really cold right now, 9 degrees outside. I'm running a generator so I'm concerned heat lamps will draw too much power.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our helpful community.

I hope you can bring the temperature up to a good range![​IMG] The brooder temperature should be at least 90 degrees for the first week of a chicks life.

5. kloverdarling

Dec 9, 2014
    Colorado
    I have more ply and rigid insulation. Thinking I may need to seal this area in more. And hoping the outside temp will come up a bit in the next few days. Truly a battle I am seeing right now.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. kloverdarling

Dec 9, 2014
    Colorado
    Added more rigid insulation in some open areas up top... I'm at 103 degrees!! Working on getting it at an even 95. Woohoo! My chicks won't freeze!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yay! I'm glad you got it heated up! Don't bake your babies![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by