Heating in the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bugkiller, Oct 19, 2011.

1. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    I am about to start my first coop. It will be a small coop for about 2 to 4 birds. I think i will copy this coop with a few slight changes. The question i have is about heating. I hear lots of people on here say yu dont need heat. Jst wondering if this would apply in very cold climates. I am in southern ontario canada and in jan/feb it is not uncommon to get temps as low as 0 F or even lower. Last year we had a week solid of - 10 f. asuming the coop is ventilated well and not drafty. Would chickens survive this climate??

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Both links take you to the same page...

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:If by southern Ontario, you mean the Sarnia or London area, you are in the sub-tropics compared to many posters on the thread Judy pointed out, including your's truly.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=421122

Read through that thread, as I also believe it is one of the best. If you don't take great comfort for it, well, ok. But I believe you'll gain in knowledge and confidence.

Deep cold snaps sometime come with power fluctuations, power outages, and heating equipment failure. Those failures can actually bring more risk to your flock than just allowing them to fully feather up in a cold, but dry, well ventilated coop.

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:A couple of years back, we went from upper teens to 3 weeks straight of lows in the -25 to -35F range, and never got above -10F the whole time. Birds did just fine, with no heat. They have a cozy coop to get out of the elements, ventilated to keep the moisture down, and plenty of fresh water. When I first started with chickens, I heated their coop to ~ 40F, and experienced more frostbite that first winter than I ever have since without heating. Chickens survive in Interior Alaska without insulated coops and -50 to -60F temps just fine.

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Fred's Hens :

Quote:If by southern Ontario, you mean the Sarnia or London area, you are in the sub-tropics compared to many posters on the thread Judy pointed out, including your's truly.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=421122

Read through that thread, as I also believe it is one of the best. If you don't take great comfort for it, well, ok. But I believe you'll gain in knowledge and confidence.

Deep cold snaps sometime come with power fluctuations, power outages, and heating equipment failure. Those failures can actually bring more risk to your flock than just allowing them to fully feather up in a cold, but dry, well ventilated coop.

I have found this to be the truth... the hard way.​

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
  8. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    Thanks for all the help guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by