Heating Lamp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4pearsonchicks, Mar 26, 2015.

1. 4pearsonchicks

4pearsonchicks Just Hatched

Mar 11, 2015
    My 3 chicks are 3 weeks old starting to get their feathers. What Temp should I keep it at now? I usually turn the heating lamp off during the day and have the heating lamp on during the night. The house is a reasonable temp and we live in Los Angeles so nothing really ever gets too cold.

2. MrsHatz

MrsHatz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2015
    Coventry, RI
    How are they acting? Are they huddled together (means they are cold) or if they are spread out to the edges of brooder(too hot)? The best way to see if the temp is right is to pay attention to the birds.

Here is a basic guideline

Approximate Heat Needs by Age
    Week 1 90 - 95°
    Week 2 85 - 90°
    Week 3 80 - 85°
    Week 4 75 - 80°
    Week 5, 6, 7 70 - 75°
    Week 8 65 - 70°
    Week 9 65° minimum

1 person likes this.
  3. SAMnELLA

SAMnELLA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    North Florida
    Good info, thankyou. I just got 2 four day old chicks and it's about 80 degrees in there now but they are snuggled in a bath towel. Is that ok or should I get a hotter bulb ? They said they were selling pullets, so I thought they were going to be bigger.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That sounds like the right thing you're doing. If in doubt, offer the heat and watch to see if the chicks utilize it. Of course, they need to have plenty of room to get away from it so space is important. Even at night, they may no longer wish to use the heat zone if your home is around 70-75 F, which is in the ball park of where chicks will need to be at this age.

The heat guidelines are not written in stone. And people mistakenly think the entire brooder has to be the recommended temp. The best way to determine chicks' heat needs is to observe their behavior when heat is offered. If they are crowding under the heat source, it's not warm enough for them. If they're hanging around mostly ignoring or avoiding the heat source, they don't need it or it's too warm for them. Adjust accordingly.

5. SAMnELLA

Oct 19, 2008
    North Florida
    Well, right now they are in the towel and I don't hear anything, so if they are sleeping they must be comfortable right ? I'm as nervous as a mother hen LOL They are 4 days old. How often should I wake them up to eat/drink ?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  6. Chickenshoe

Chickenshoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    they will be fine.. there was a great post from north west I read the other day..about chicks thriving in the coop, subject to cold...I'd avoid extremes, keep em hydrated,, once feathers start coming in good,, 3-4 weeks.. they'd probably be fine in room temp 65-70. We tend to worry to much about this topic... kind of like that commercial showing 1st time mom refusing to hand baby to sibling without first being sanitized and sprayed, 2nd child comes, mom's in a garage with a mechanic, she needs to get something out of her purse and hands the baby to the mechanic to hold, he's greasy and dirty....lol same concept here.. they will be fine

7. SAMnELLA

Oct 19, 2008
    North Florida
    Thanks, I checked on them a little while ago, and it looked like they had a party in there LOL They were asleep and didn't even know I was there. They are eating, drinking, and pooping. I think the towel is going away tomorrow, its unbelievable how dirty it got in 1 day !

8. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    yeah we as humans tend to 'over think' it a lot. The chicks actions will tell you what you need to do. If they're all huddled together, they're cold. if they're spread out around the edge of the light, they're fine! just keep em plenty of fresh water available!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by