Heating Lamps for the Winter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dalmation1080, Oct 9, 2012.

1. dalmation1080

dalmation1080 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2012
    I know a lot of chicken owners will probbaly say that a heat lamp is un-needed and such. But ive lost a few birds to frostbite/cold weather before.

Anyway, I have built a brand new barn & chicken coop this year and im searching for a couple heat lamps to keep my chickens, ducks & peafowl a little warmer this winter. I have gotten some nice birds this year, and i dont want to loose them. Does anyone have any reccomendations for some heat lamps that i can put in my coop that are safe and wont catch fire (Biggest fear), but keep the birds comfortable?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    If you are losing birds to frostbite/cold, I would look at your ventilation before adding heat lamps. When you built the new barn, were you keeping the need for ventilation in mind?

Heat lamps are going to add a fire risk, raise your electric bill, and make it harder for the birds to acclimate to the cold. Not to mention that when you have a power outage, you will lose birds who have grown reliant on the heat and never learned how to keep themselves warm.

Your profile doesn't say where you are located, but I know where I am we get some single digit and even below 0 days every winter, and my birds do fine. I know there are people living in Alaska who don't use supplemental heat for their birds, so I really would look at increasing your ventilation rather than taking the risk with heat lamps, if I were you.

3. dalmation1080

dalmation1080 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2012
    I have had plenty of ventilation in both of my coops and have still lost birds. Any heat lamp brand suggestions?

4. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by