1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heating Lamps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JustinaMarie, Dec 10, 2013.

1. JustinaMarie

JustinaMarie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Western Pennsylvania
    I had a question about heating lamps and might be kind of dumb but new to this. I was wondering what the difference between a red and white bulb is which is better? and what should you get 250 or 125w or both?

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    It is said, that the red lamp helps prevent the chicks from picking at each other. I have used the white (250W) and did not have any trouble with my first group of 12. But, when I had my second group of 18 in the brooder, a couple of them got pecked at on their tail feather area. I put them in a chicken wire secure area inside the brooder for a few days until they healed, and returned them with no further problems. So I have no personal experience with the red lights.
    Like I said, I used the 250W, and I just kept raising it up as I needed to get the temp where I wanted. Wire it up securely, they get blazing hot, and you don't want it to fall into the brooder, cause it will start a fire. I would think a 125W would work, just got to hang it at the right height.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  3. Bitterroot

Bitterroot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    Montana
    I use 150 watt ceramic infrared heat emitters. Last forever, and I get to keep the chicks on a natural light cycle.

4. JustinaMarie

JustinaMarie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Western Pennsylvania
    Bitterroot where do you get those and what are them? If never heard of them

5. Bitterroot

Bitterroot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    Montana
    I buy mine off amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AQCQO/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I come from the reptile world, so I usually use reptile stuff I have on hand if I can. My tortoises love these. They fit in the same metal hoods that regular bulbs you'd use fit in, and are used in the same way, lowering and raising to get the correct temperature.

They put out plenty of heat, but no light.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  6. ericmcginn5

ericmcginn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    you can buy the heat metter bulb he was talking about at some pet stores too i also use the red light becouse it is said a lot of animals cant see the red so you can leave it on all day and it helps with pecking

7. ericmcginn5

ericmcginn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    you can buy the heat metter bulb he was talking about at some pet stores too i also use the red light becouse it is said a lot of animals cant see the red so you can leave it on all day and it helps with pecking

8. mordred25

mordred25 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I am using 2 of the 150 W ceramic heating lamps, one with a dimmer and one with an electronic thermostat controlling a solid state relay with the sensor on the floor under the lamp. Problem with the remote sensor idea is the chicks can mask it (by sleeping on it) and the heater will not switch off until they move, which they do when they get too hot.

If the room is a constant temperature you are better with a dimmer, which also negates the need to change the height and also will make the globe last longer as it reduces the voltage.

The ceramic lamps are also better as the chick can get used to a night/day normal time table. If it is a room with no natural light you could set up a lamp on a timer to achieve the same effect.

I also use sand as the bedding material as if the lamps fall in to it they will not burn. Got mine off Ebay in Australia for A$20 each which is less than half what they ask at the pet shops. I am sure you can do better in America.

BTW I am an electrical technician by trade and am fully qualified to work on mains connected devices. If you are not qualified in electrical work I would strongly advise having the work done by a qualified electrician.

Adrian

9. CountryGal517

CountryGal517 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2014
    Georgetown, KY
    mordred25, where did you find a dimmer that hooks up to the heating lamps have been looking but can't seem to find one???

10. mordred25

mordred25 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Any electrical wholesaler. They are a standard light dimmer rated slightly higher than the globe that you want to use. For example if you have 2x 150w lamps, use a 400w dimmer. In Australia where we have 240v mains voltage they are not cheap at around $60, and legally you need to have them wired up by a qualified electrican.
    That said they are not complex to wire as the go in series with the lamp. The dimmer can run quite warm after being on for a few hours, so it is important to have good ventilation around it and not in direct contact with flammable material for example foam or wood.

Adrian

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by