Heating Needed?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jcmart1, Jan 7, 2015.

1. jcmart1

jcmart1 New Egg

Jan 7, 2015
    So let me start off by saying that I've read several threads on supplemental heating in the winter, and would not really consider using a heat lamp or other source, as I live in southeast Louisiana. However, a couple weeks ago, one of my girls started molting, and has now lost nearly all the feathers on her neck. To make matters worse, the other one was recently attacked by a hawk (I got to the scene before the hawk did any significant damage) and now has a couple patches of raw skin showing where the hawk tore out her feathers. As it is projected to be in the low 20's (teens with wind-chill) over the next few nights, should I hang a heat lamp nearby for warmth? I believe I would really only need to do this during the night and early morning until it warmed back up.

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

How many chickens do you have? How have they been doing during cold nights so far? If they seem fine I wouldn't worry about putting a heating lamp. If you think they need one then it wouldn't hurt to have one in there just in case. Hope your chicken heals quickly!![​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  3. jcmart1

jcmart1 New Egg

Jan 7, 2015
    I only have two, now, as one died suddenly last month :( So far, they have been doing well, but the coldest so far has been the upper 30s at night.

Looking forward to expanding my flock this spring, though! Thanks for the words of care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by