heating options

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chick_in_Indiana, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    has anyone every used a light bulb in a taracota pot turned upside down for heat. is there any other ideas other then the heat lamp.

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I just installed one yesterday - after waking up and seeing it was ZERO in the coop.
    I'm just using the one I had when they were babies, its a ceramic thing, no light...... I think they're used more for reptiles than chickens, but it warms up and thats all you really need.

3. Gonzo the Great

Gonzo the Great Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ditto here...I JUST got a small flock. My first EVAH! The nice lady threw in a free silkie...bigger, older than the 3 weekers. He's a bully so I separated a dog crate with some 1/4" hardware cloth and made the waterer and feeder slide under about 1.5" of space to share both sides. NOW, the flock is in an outdoor shed. Temp on on the floor is 50 degrees. Two heat lamps (one red and one white) in two separate ends of the crate. The white lamp seems to be drawing them over and huddling around that lamp. This is their first night. I've covered the top of the steel grate crate to collect the rising heat, but still... should I be worried? The nice lady I got them from had an outdoor shed, but she is closer to the coast and the temp doesn't seem to get colder than mid 50s.

What the heck did I get myself into?:mad:

4. mel58

mel58 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2007
    I'd like some ideas on brooding outside in cold weather, also. avg high and low right now is 35/19 (I'm in indiana also).

have some 5 weeks old I'd really like to get out of my bathroom (only safe room from cats. no basement). I bought a dog kennel today that is 8 x 10 ft and 6 ft tall. also bought the insulated dog house the previous owner had with it. been wanting one to use for chicks until they are old enough to mix with the big chickens.

hoping others will post with heating options for COLD weather areas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by