HEATING OUR COOP

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by missydney, Nov 7, 2014.

1. missydney

missydney Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    we live in Western Wisconsin and as everyone might know our winters can be terrible.

tonight we went into the coop and set up the heat lamp for the chickens..... they are 22 weeks old. it was almost dark and we had it turned on and as they went into the coop they immediately started to fight with each other something they have never done......

we are using a red colored heat bulb in the lamp, everyone told us this wouldn't make a difference......

my question is: Does this red light make a difference in their behavior? what other sources can I use for heat in our coop? we need to find something fast for them as the night are getting to the freezing temperature's

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
  3. missydney

missydney Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    oh thanks so very much I will have to read them in a few minutes

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    You really don't need added heat, think of winter birds, they get along fine. You do need to keep them dry with good bedding and good ventilation.

A lot of chicken coop fires are caused by heat lamps.

Mrs K

1 person likes this.
  5. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    I agree with MrsK...my girls are just fine all winter and it gets cold where I am. I keep it dry and have air flow. Heat lamps are dangerous and If you loose power your birds will loose heat and be in serious trouble. If they're not used to the cold they'll die. Just my opinion, I know everyone does things differently.

1 person likes this.
  6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    No supplemental heat here in Northern Wyoming, either. Just lots of ventilation and working deep litter.

1 person likes this.
  7. KrystalRose

KrystalRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    Finley, WA
    I know this is missydney's thread but I think my question may go with hers. We are supposed to be getting a quick cold snap from the storm brewing up in Alaska in the next couple days. Right now where I live in WA the temps are on average high around 60 and lows around 40. By the middle of this coming week the temps are supposed to be high in mid 30s and low in mid 20s with a chance for snow on thursday. Is this a large enough jump in temp that I should provide supplemental heat during the coldest part of the nights? I do want them to acclimate to the winter temps without heat lamps but I am worried that that large of a jump will be very hard on them. By the way my girls are all 22 weeks old.

Since a lot of the nation will be affected by this cold snap especially missydney in Wisconsin does anyone have advice for this? If there is such a thing as too large of a temperature jump where you would need to provide supplemental heat, how much of a jump is enough? My gut is saying to watch the girls and if they are huddling and acting super cold to provide heat, if not don't worry about it.

8. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    I live in WA and do not do anything special for my flock, but I also keep cold hardy breeds. Their coop just needs proper ventilation and free from drafts. Keep an eye on their waterers so they don't freeze.

9. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I live in Minnesota, I'm going to add heated waterers to keep the water from freezing (it has already froze this fall 3 times, we just had electric put in today) other than that I'll add heat when it is -20 or better. I think they will be fine otherwise. we've already had temps at 27 degrees, I put my hand under them, they were all warm while still on the roost. My chickens were born the first week of May.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  10. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Also, they may have been fighting because they didn't want to be by the lamp as it was too hot. If they have not had heat so far, they are used to the cold. turn the light off, check them in a couple hours, put your hand under them and see if they are warm. if they are, it is probably fine as long as they are dry. they definitely don't need heat if it is above freezing. and probably not until it is below zero or better.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by