Heating pad temp for just hatched chicks?

Blessedthistle

Chirping
Oct 25, 2018
NJ
I just got my chicks delivered (only 3), apparently hatched yesterday and mailed out last night. They look good but are looking for warmth. The first ones I got last week arrived dead from being rerouted/delayed by USPS. I had made the mama heating pad setup prior to their arrival. I had it set too tall (these guys are tiny!) and after I lowered it they got cozy and quieted down. I have an accurate thermometer tucked under the bungee but on high it's really too hot, and although I have the thing slanted so they can choose their own comfort, I worry that since they are still so wobbly that they won't move around and will overheat. What is a good starting temp for them? I know I will have to let them tell me and make adjustments as we go. Also, when will they start eating and drinking? I dipped their beaks, but no interest in anything but warmth right now.

I just got my chicks delivered (only 3), apparently hatched yesterday and mailed out last night. They look good but are looking for warmth. The first ones I got last week arrived dead from being rerouted/delayed by USPS. I had made the mama heating pad setup prior to their arrival. I had it set too tall (these guys are tiny!) and after I lowered it they got cozy and quieted down. I have an accurate thermometer tucked under the bungee but on high it's really too hot, and although I have the thing slanted so they can choose their own comfort, I worry that since they are still so wobbly that they won't move around and will overheat. What is a good starting temp for them? I know I will have to let them tell me and make adjustments as we go. Also, when will they start eating and drinking? I dipped their beaks, but no interest in anything but warmth right now.
I don’t rely on a thermometer - they will let you know how they’re doing. It’s good that you have it slanted so they can choose how close to it they need to be. They will be able to move around on their own - just give them some time to adjust.

What worried me was that even with it on really high they didn't come out. And were totally quiet. So I kept running in to make sure they were alive. Now I have it on low and it's 111 degrees, but there's alot of cheeping. Once they are hopping around a bit I will feel better about them self regulating. It's just that I know that there isn't a mama hen alive that would be 127 degrees so I figured that wasn't good!

What worried me was that even with it on really high they didn't come out. And were totally quiet. So I kept running in to make sure they were alive. Now I have it on low and it's 111 degrees, but there's alot of cheeping. Once they are hopping around a bit I will feel better about them self regulating. It's just that I know that there isn't a mama hen alive that would be 127 degrees so I figured that wasn't good!
How and where are you measuring these temps?
Pics of your MHP would really help(at a chicks eye view).
What kind of pad are you using(link to exact product, please)?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom