Heating pads

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sashurlow, Sep 19, 2009.

1. sashurlow

sashurlow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    West Rutland, VT
    This might be a stupid question, but what about using heating pads (they kind used for humans) for a coop heater. I realize that using a purpose built product would probably be better. Would a heating pad use more electricity with less heat than a purpose built heater or roughly the same amount of electricity and heat?
    Scott

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  3. sashurlow

sashurlow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    West Rutland, VT
    wow, that was very well written.
    thanks

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Depending on what your looking to do they do have the microwaveable "heating pads" for outdoor, old or arthritic pets. I don't remember right now what they are called, but they are discs that supposedly hold heat for a few hours. I am thinking of using one to try and extend the unfrozen time of the water in my tractor. Downside is they are not very big & cost $26 dollars or so.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

You're welcome, sashurlow.

[​IMG]

There are poultry pads for use on platforms and in nest boxes, too. I'm just one of those folks who wants to keep it simple and I'm always anxious about fire hazards...[​IMG]

6. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    there are heating pads for starting seeds i have allways wondered if they could be used they heat to about 75 are water proof i was thinking about them for the brooder and mayb if it gets real cold i the coop. i don't think the people ones are good idea as chickens might pull them apart

7. angels4

angels4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It is called a "Snuggle Safe" I bought one for my girls after a friend showed me his and explained how he used it (I was a new chicken keeper then and worried about every little thing) until someone here explained the importance of ventilation and allowing the birds to aclumate <sp?> to the cold weather "They do carry a duvet with them wherever they go"! keeps ringing in my ears.
    I use the snuggle safe instead of a water bottle to keep my bed nice and toasty.[​IMG]

8. poultrygeist

poultrygeist Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Hunterdon Cty. NJ
    Ya know, I don't see a fire hazard if you take necessary precautions with circuit breakers etc. Keep it on medium and wrap it with foil leaving the ends open. It will be bone chillin' cold to use that, but I doubt there would be an over heat issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by