heating question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by domromer, May 20, 2007.

1. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    I have my new chicks in the pen. They are a few days old so according to my many books I should have my heat lamp 18-25" above the floor. For a comfortable 90-95f. Well I did that and my chicks were constanly at the far side of the box away from the heat. So I raised the heater a little bit, and they stayed pressed to the far side, so I raised it again and again. They are still hanging out on the far side. Well now my heater is like 30" in the are and the chicks still are hanging out on the far side. They seem content enough, chirping and eating. But they are only using half the container. I don't want them to feel cramped. It shouldn't be drafty in there. They are in a bathroom with the door shut and they are no windows.

Any ideas?? I don't want to roast them or freeze them.

2. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Have you checked the temp with a thermometer?

Have you checked for drafts?
    It sounds like they are too hot or in a draft.
    Do you have a draft barrier? What kind of box or cage do you have them in?

It doesn't take much of a draft to get them to pile up in a corner.

Jean

3. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    temp is around 90. here is a pic of the brooder

[​IMG]

4. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    what is the material they are standing on? Sorry if this is a dumb q...mine are on pine shavings and papertowels.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It looks like wood pellets, Aran.

6. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    cheers...is that better than shavings?

7. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    Domromer- it could be the type of brooder you have them in that is causing the heat to be so high. I also used a plastic container when I first got our chicks and the heat was way too high. Over a 100!!!! I had the container in a dog crate and the light was on top, so I could get it up to about 2.5 feet from the bottem of the container. They were fine with this temperature for about 4 days than they were getting hot again. I then lined the dog crate with cardboard and move them out of the plastic container. They out grow those plastic containers so fast.
    You are right to let the behavior of the chicks tell when they are happy. I was obcessed with the temperture with our first batch of chicks but I did'nt even use a thermameter with the second.

8. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    You might try dispensing with the rubbermaid tub and letting the have the run of the whole bath tub. Just remember to plug the drain so the wood pellets don't go down. That way they can have plenty of room to come to the heat or get away from it if need be. Also, they do need fresh air, so you may not want to keep the door to the bathroom closed all the time. Just a thought....[​IMG]

9. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Well, your picture answered the draft question. With that plastic tub, drafts are not the problem.

I think they need more room to get away from the heat.
    Instead of continually raising the light, can you move it off to one side, not even over the plastic tub?
    Maybe that will give a small area of heat, & a larger one that is cooler?

I don't know if this will work, just trying to come up with a solution for you.

Jean

10. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    i agree with birdbrain, can you let them run the tub, that shoulden't get to cold or hot for them, it's probably a bit larger as well , hop this helps, good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by