Heating the Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickgirl11, Oct 11, 2010.

1. chickgirl11

chickgirl11 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Citra, Florida
    I have heard that you are supposed to put a heat lamp on the chicks and decrease the temperature by 5 degrees every week. I never really did that but the temperature on them has been consitently warm and they are perfectly fine. I have them on my patio outside in a tote altered to create a good home for them. They were right next to an outlet so the heat lamp could be used easily. They are outgrowing it and they are now 26 days old. I forgot to mention that I have two chicks. I am moving them outside into a coop-like setup but there is no outlet. It is only 60 degrees in the morning. Do they need heat and how should I heat them?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    60 degrees is a little cold for 4 week old chicks.

You could put them in a cardboard box with lots of warm bedding (pine bedding works well) each night until they get all their feathers.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    At about 6 weeks and with full feathering they should be OK at night outside.

Better if they are in bigger numbers as they huddle together for warmth.

Sandie

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If it were me I would put them in the coop during the day when it is warmer and keep them heated at night in their old setup. They don't need much room to sleep. (Until they are fully feathered around 5-7 weeks.)

5. chickgirl11

Sep 19, 2010
    Citra, Florida
    I might keep them in their old setup at night then. Their new "coop" will be lined with straw. Is that a bedding that could keep them warm? I am in Florida and it doesn't normaly get this cold for another few weeks. If it didn't get cold until they were 5 wks then this wouldn't be a problem.

6. ChickensAreSweet

7. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    Yes, use pine shavings instead of straw (NOT cedar).

Could you run an extension cord for a week or two out to the coop for cool nights?

8. chickgirl11

Sep 19, 2010
    Citra, Florida
    I can run an extension cord. I am currently using pine bedding but since they will be in an old rabbit hutch that is raised above the ground, the bedding will fall through the wire floor.

9. ChickensAreSweet

One thing I have done is use contact paper under the shavings (not even removing the backing of it to make it sticky) . Some of my chickens are in rabbit hutches too.

Also I have used cardboard under shavings, but this gets wet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by