Heating the coop with out electricity...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JensChickies, Dec 30, 2014.

1. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    Is it possible to heat a coop without electricity?? It's suppose to be freezing in a couple of nights, just want to make sure they don't get too cold. I don't have access to electricity where my coop is. There is good ventilation in the coop, but it's just a wood coop, no insulation.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Where do you live?

3. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014

In Northern California.

4. enola

Your climate is not cold enough for you to worry about heat for your chickens. Good ventilation is all you need to worry about.

5. chixmaidservice

chixmaidservice Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2013
    Jenschickies- last winter my hens survived multiple weeks of sub zero cold in an unheated, uninsulated wood coop- I know Ca. is getting an unnatural dose of frosty temps- but your hens will be fine if they can stay dry and out of icy winds. You will do more for them by blocking the prevailing wind from their run w/ a tarp. If you feel the need to nurture them thru the cold snap, cut up some cardboard boxes to insulate the inside walls of your coop and make 'em a warm mash for the mornings.

6. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014
    Wow...thank you so much for the advice. I was getting worried about my sweet girls. Thank you!!!

7. AnnieE

AnnieE Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2014
    Southeast Michigan
    I dont have electricity either and im in michigan. I blocked the draft from the chicken door to the run by adding a small covered addition that made a 90 degree turn out the door into the run (thanks dad!). Then i added a drop roof made of an old sheet. Im also doing the deep litter method and keeping the water in the run so there are no spills. Also looking for more ideas myself.

8. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014
    Yeah....I know chickens are pretty hardy, I just don't want them to be cold. I think I might insulate with card board on the walls. That was a good idea.

9. enola

My chickens would eat the card board right off the walls!

10. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Chickens will chew cardboard or any insulation you can think of; it must be covered with plywood or something, or don't bother. If your coop isn't shaded, insulating the ceiling will keep it cooler in warm weather, which is much more important. Out of the wind and dry is what's important, and unfrozen water. It's in the teens here, and my birds are outside exploring. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by