Heating the Waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CityFolk, Oct 13, 2009.

1. CityFolk

CityFolk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    I saw in the learning center that it says to heat the waterer to keep it from freezing. How do I do that? I have one of the plastic 5 gallon ones. What do I need to do? Thanks. The waterer is outside the coop btw and I don't think it would fit inside very well as it is only 4x4.

PS I already found a thread with the solution.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. Oklahoma Lightning

Oklahoma Lightning Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Twin Oaks
    Do you have electric to the coop?
    If you do you can buy a heater that goes under water container , to heat the water.
    Not in it but under the whole thing.
    I assume it is metal right?
    I saw were they took a cookie can or fruitcake metal can,cut a hole in the side and put a small light in the can. Mount it to the can put the lid back on and set the water on it. For a cheep heater.

Try this link

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=910715

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

If you scroll down on this page there are pics of a couple of ways to heat water. Personally, I like to have the water inside, 24/7, though I offer extra in the run when possible.

If you are willing to spend for a heated base, it will be approved and safe. They are expensive, though. Be sure to use any heating device on non-flammable surfaces lsuch as patio blocks raised on cinder blocks.

Most commercial heating devices are NOT approved for outdoor use.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-seasonal-concerns

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I use a heated bucket, with a log next to it, so the shorter birds can use it to, its meant to be use in or out side, I like to keep the water outside in the winter because it keeps the humidity down in the coop. not so messy too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by