Heating Troubles

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ktown55, Dec 10, 2009.

1. ktown55

ktown55 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2009
    East Tenn..
    Well Here I Am Again, As You Most Know, I'm New At This....My Trouble Is For Some Darn Reason, I'm Having Trouble With My Heat In the Bator...I'm In Lockdown At This Time And The Heat Keeps Going Up & Down...For The Most Part, I Can Get It Up To 98.or 99.
    But It'll Drop Down,,I've Seen It As Low As 95 But For A Short Time Due To Me Keeping A Eye On It..I guess What I'm Trying To Ask Is,,
    If It Was To Get To 95 For Any Amount Of Time, Would It Hurt The Chicks? I'm Useing A Friends ( OLD ) Hova- Bator, 1602N..My Humidity Is Staying Right At 70...I Used His Bator Just To See If This Would Be Something I Would Want To Do Without Buying One,Then Not Want to Do It Anymore..But I Enjoy It, And I Won't Be Useing His EVER Again...Time For A New One......Thanks Ktown
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I fight my 1602 every step of the way!

3. ktown55

Nov 24, 2009
    East Tenn..
    Yes I Did Too...Like I Said , I'll Not Use It Again.....LOL Thanks

4. ktown55

Nov 24, 2009
    East Tenn..
    Quote:Goodmorning Warden....Gotta Ask Ya Something About The 1602 Bators...How Do You Lay Your Eggs In Your Bator? I Laid My Eggs Right On Top Of the Water Traps, Or At Lease thats What I Call Them.....And Another thing..I Heard Peeps This Morning, But There Not picking At There Shells....Is There Something Wrong Or Do I Need To Do Something To Help Them Or Just Leave Them Alone For Now?
    I Can't Wait Till I Get Them All Hatch...Right Now I'm Like A Kid In A Candy Stoore LOL...Thank You For Your Help And Putting Up With Me.......Ktown:) [​IMG]
    Ps...How Soon Can I Handle The Chicks Other Then Putting Them In The Brooder ??? Just Wondering...Thanks Again

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  5. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Ok, I take out my auto-turner, then I cut a piece of foam shelf liner (the kind on a roll with little holes) over the wire. If you can position them with the big end tipped up, all the better. Of course that is only good until the first little guy gets out and runs around rolling the remaining eggs all around. The peeping you hear is good. Leave them alone. They are busy absorbing the yolk saca and the blood is retracting from the vessels into the chick. Hatching is hard work and you may not see a pip for hours or a day or more. Once he gets through the membrane and is breathing air, he still has to get thru the shell. Mine work a little then rest a long time. Don't rush him. He will take the time he needs. If you can wait and let all the chicks hatch until you remove them from the incubator that is the best. The activity of having others in there will stimulate the stragglers to get going. PLEASE leave them in the incubator until they are warm, dry and fuzzy even if your hatch is done. They need the warmth and humidity of the brooder. I just battled to try to save a little guy whose eyes wouldn't open. I think I may have removed him too soon and our air is REALLY dry here.

They can go 3 days without food or water after hatching. Just be patient and enjoy watching. Do keep your humidity up to 65-70% during the hatch to avoid the membrane drying out and shrinkwrapping them in the shell.

Keep us posted on how it goes and keep your hands in your pockets!

Mary

p.s. I let the chicks settle down for quite awhile after putting them in the brooder. Then I pick each one up and gently dip it's beak into the water. I let it swallow, then dip it again, being careful not to go too deep and get water in the nostrils. I pay special attention during the day to verify that every chick is drinking. Make sure you put marbles or rocks in the water dish so they don't drown. I just switched to a rabbit nipple waterer for sanitary reasons. I keep my brooder in my office so the tap-tap-tapping signals me to look over and see who's drinking. I handle my chicks a lot. I try not to just reach in and grab them from overhead. I reach in and slide my hand under them from the front and talk to them while I am doing it. Now they run to the sliding door when I open it and they stand and let me scratch their chests. I also conduct mandatory cheks for pasty butt several times a day. It is easier to deal with if found early.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by