Heating Water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Clairemarie1982, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Clairemarie1982

Clairemarie1982 In the Brooder

Mar 12, 2019
    Connecticut
    Hello! This is our first fall/winter with chickens. I had purchased the Little Giant Electric Heater Base back in the spring when we got the chicks. Their water has just started freezing up here in Connecticut so today I went to set up the heater. As I was about to do so I noticed in fine print it says: do not use extension cord. Now what?! We do not have electricity at the chicken coop and we planned on using an extension cord to the house. Changing the water throughout the day is not an option as we have a bunch of kids and sometimes I’m in and out with them all day/evening. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Claire

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    gtaus likes this.
  2. J99

J99 Songster

Jul 25, 2019
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    Heated dog bowls I’ve heard is good I am changing water all day at this time but plan on buying a heated dog bowl soon myself

Clairemarie1982, ShannonR and gtaus like this.
  3. sharrielee

sharrielee In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2019
    Spokane, Washington
    Heated dog bowls work great, that is what I use

4. LizzzyJo

LizzzyJo Songster

Dec 14, 2018
    Northwest Ohio
    I’ll play the bad guy here and say ‘just do it anyway’. Test it of course while you’re there for a few days. Is it in a place where it can catch fire? Is it outside or inside?

don’t put chickies at risk if there’s a fire risk. But if it’s outside on stones then ‘ehhh just try it’.

*this comment does not hold lizzzyjo responsible for damage *

5. Clairemarie1982

Clairemarie1982 In the Brooder

Mar 12, 2019
    Connecticut
    The placement would be outside in their run on the ground which is pine shavings/mulched leaves which is over the dirt ground.

gtaus likes this.
  6. sharrielee

Apr 1, 2019
    Spokane, Washington
    Clairemarie1982 and gtaus like this.
  7. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Songster

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Do you have a problem with the water being dirty? This seems like a good option for me but I’m concerned about them pooping in their water.

gtaus likes this.
  8. sharrielee

Apr 1, 2019
    Spokane, Washington
    I really don't have too much trouble with that. Sometimes they get some shavings in there but not too often. I also don't have it right by the food, so when they are scratching they don't kick stuff in there.

gtaus likes this.
  9. TwoShepherds

TwoShepherds Songster

Apr 4, 2019
    Southeast TN
    I have an extension cord running to my heated waterer, which is outside in the run in an area that is still grassy. So far it works just fine, though last night was the first night that it has gotten cold enough to freeze. I don't recall reading anything in the instructions that said not to use it with an extension cord, however.

Clairemarie1982 and gtaus like this.
  10. imnukensc

imnukensc Crowing

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    I use an extension cord with my heated base. I have no idea why folks are suggesting a different waterer that uses electricity. Yould still have to use an extension cord.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: