Heating??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TownhouseSeramas, Nov 10, 2011.

1. TownhouseSeramas

TownhouseSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Is it possible to use a reptile heating lamp for brooders? I need one that is smaller and not so powerful and they seem like a good size, but I don't know if that's okay or not or what wattage to get. Any help you can give would be great, thank you.

2. rebel985

rebel985 New Egg

Nov 10, 2011
    Best thing to do in my opinon is to get a brooder light from Lowes or a local feed store and use a 200 watt bulb. The light comes with a clamp which can be moved up and down to help control the heat. As they get older you can move/clamp it higher to back the temperature off.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If you can keep the temperatures around 90 for the first few weeks and around 80 for the next few weeks, it doesn't matter much how you achieve it.

A couple things to keep in mind, however. First is safety. Never, ever, just trust those clamps on the lamp. Lots of folks not only start a fire that burns their chicks, but burns down the garage, barn or house at the same time. The bedding is highly flammable. Always have a back up support, using wire or tough cord when using a heating lamp.

4. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Fred's Hens :

If you can keep the temperatures around 90 for the first few weeks and around 80 for the next few weeks, it doesn't matter much how you achieve it.

A couple things to keep in mind, however. First is safety. Never, ever, just trust those clamps on the lamp. Lots of folks not only start a fire that burns their chicks, but burns down the garage, barn or house at the same time. The bedding is highly flammable. Always have a back up support, using wire or tough cord when using a heating lamp.

x1000!​

5. TownhouseSeramas

TownhouseSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    [​IMG] Excuse me while I run upstairs...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by