Heatlamp/ light questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bugdude, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Bugdude

Bugdude Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    SO its getting colder here in CA (believe it or not) and soon I think its going to start dipping low enough that the water might start freezing. So I want to add some light but im wondering about how much of a heat lamp I will need.
    The dimentions of the coop are 4x5x4, basically a cube.

How big of a heat lamp do you think I will need? When you add heat do you only let it run throughout the night/morning, or do you let it run all day in the coop?

Someone had suggested somewhere that adding a red light would help with the problem of the winter egg break. Im wondering if this is true because if the heat lamp is on at night it will be a red light, and if thats going to bother them then I'll need to figure another way to heat the coop without lighting it up.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    How cold is cold? My almost 7 month old chickens were out playing in the yard the other evening when it was 39 degrees. Didn't bother them a bit. They actually seem to prefer the cooler temps.
    Anyhow it would have to get below 30 and stay there for a good long while before I'd even consider adding heat. Chickens acclimate to cold weather very well, if you haven't kept them under a heat lamp their whole lives. Provide them with a draft-free coop and they're good to go. To keep the water from freezing you can add a small wattage bulb aimed directly at the waterer; red bulb if you can find it or look into getting a waterer heater.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Never knew cali got cold!

Mine sleep by choice on the outside roosts of their tractors year round. It's covered, but nights go into the 20's before the smallest start going in.

4. Bugdude

Bugdude Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    LOL well maybe its my definition of cold... hehe coldest has been around 45 ish maybe a little lower.. Freezing considering couple weeks ago it was mid 90's, I almost pulled the boat back out for a weekend of waterskiing.

Their coop should be somewhat airtight, accept for the small gaps between the boards. It rained for the first time today so It looks like I soon get to see how well I sealed up the roof.

5. Kessidy

Kessidy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    It gets 20 below here. I have a light, and a ceramic heater in my hen house. The ceramic is a hanging heater.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Leak proof and draft proof? I wouldn't worry one bit. You might look into a waterer heater like I mentioned or you can do the small wattage bulb hanging directly over the waterer. Keep in mind that any electricity in the coop can be a fire hazard. Make sure if you go that route to hang it very securely.
    As for the chickens they'll be fine. That's what they have down coats and friends for. If they have been on heat up to this point and are completely feathered out I would wean them off of it now so that they have time to adjust before the real winter hits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by